Sentence Structures in English Language | NIGI ENGLISH CARE

 


A sentence refers to a word, clause, or a group of clauses or words that express a complete idea. Sentences are vital in writing since they help you express your thoughts. It is, therefore, very crucial to write sentences that are complete and which follow grammar rules.

Complete sentences typically contain a verb, can stand alone and still make sense, and they also clearly express a complete thought. This article discusses the various types of sentence structures and sentence types that can help you write complete and grammatically correct sentences. Take a close look.

What Is A Sentence?


A sentence refers to a clause, word, phrase, or a group of phrases, words, or clauses that give a complete idea/thought. A sentence can give a statement, ask a question, give a command, indicate an exclamation, express a wish or an assertion, and could also show action performance. When writing, a sentence always starts with a capital letter and a full-stop, exclamation, or a question mark ends the sentence.

Characteristics of A Sentence

First and foremost, a sentence must have a capital letter at the start and a period, exclamation mark, or question mark in the end. Secondly, a sentence should express a complete thought or idea; otherwise, it is not a sentence. Lastly, it must have a verb and a subject.

For example:

  • The happy father. (This is a phrase and isn’t a sentence since it doesn’t have a verb. It does not state anything about the happy father; hence the phrase does not give a complete thought. Remember, a phrase must give a complete thought or idea for it to be a sentence.)

Examples of Sentences

  • The girl is cooking some stew. (This sentence shows a statement.)
  • Is it raining? (The sentence asks a question. It has a capital letter at the beginning but ends with a period (question mark.))
  • What an incredible miracle! (The sentence ends with an exclamation mark as the period.)
  • You must do it. (The sentence expresses a command.)

Sentence Structures

There are four structures, namely: compound-complex sentencessimple sentencescomplex sentences, and compound sentences.

Simple Sentences

These sentences have one clause (the independent clause.) The clauses usually express just one idea/ thought. Additionally, these sentences only carry a single verb.

Examples:

  • The maid is cooking.
  • Sam is sleeping.
  • Her mother is sweeping the house.

Compound Sentences

Compound sentences refer to sentences whose independent clauses are more than one. Meaning, their minimum independent clauses are two, and they do not have dependent clauses. These independent clauses are joined together using conjunctions, or punctuation. The punctuation mark used is the semi-colon and conjunctions include: and, but, yet, for, so, nor, and or.

Examples:

  • Michael studied at the US and Elizabeth studies in China. (The independent clauses are “Michael studied at the US” and “Elizabeth studied in China” and are joined by the conjunction “and”) They are independent clauses since they express a complete idea.
  • Mary is cooking, but Moses is washing the dishes. (The sentence has two verbs “cooking” and “washing,” hence two clauses. The clauses are joined together by the conjunction “but”)
  • My vehicle broke down; I arrived late. (The semi-colon joins the clauses in this sentence)

1.I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily.

2.A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.

3.I used to be snow white, but I drifted.

4.We went to the mall; however, we only went window-shopping.

5.She is famous, yet she is very humble.

6.I saw Samuel yesterday but he didn’t see me.

7.Mary doesn’t like cartoons because they are loud, so she doesn’t watch them.

8.They wanted to go to Paris, but I wanted to see London.

9.She is very smart, and she knows it

10.I think you’d enjoy the party. I don’t mind if you stay home.

11.They spoke to him in French, but he responded in English.

12.I spent all my savings, so I can’t go to France this winter.

13.I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily.

14.I want to lose weight, yet I eat chocolate daily.

15.Michael did not like to read. She was not very good at it.

16.Dr. Mark said I could come to his office on Friday or Saturday of next week.

17.My favorite sport is skiing. I am vacationing in Hawaii this winter.

18.2. I don’t want to drink. I don’t want to eat.

19.The boys sang and the girls danced.

20.Mary was out of milk, so she went to the store.

Complex Sentences

These sentences have a main clause and a dependent clause (at least one). Additionally, complex sentences have to subordinate conjunctions which indicate a dependent clause, such include, like because, after, as, although, how, before, since, if, once, then, where, until, whether, that, till, and while.

Examples:

  • I missed my exam because I was late
(The independent clause is “I missed my exam,” whereas the dependent clause is “because I was late” and the subordinating conjunction is “because”) 

  • I cooked hurriedly after his arrival

(“I cooked hurriedly” is the independent clause whereas the dependent clause is “after his arrival” and “after” is the subordinating conjunction)


1. Because my coffee was too cold, I heated it in the microwave.

2. Although he was wealthy, he was still unhappy.

3 .She returned the computer after she noticed it was damaged.

4. Whenever prices goes up, customers buy less products.

5.Because I had to catch the train, and as we were short on time, I forgot to pack my toothbrush for our vacation.

6. As she was bright and ambitious, she became a manager in no time.

7. Wherever you go, you can always find beauty.

8. Evergreen trees are a symbol of fertility because they do not die in the winter.

9. Although it was very long, the movie was still enjoyable.

10. You should take your car in for a service because it's starting to make weird noises.

11. The actor was happy he got a part in a movie even though the part was small.

12. After the tornado hit, there was very little left standing.

13. The museum was very interesting, as I expected.

14. Now that he's rich and famous, people make allowances for his idiosyncrasies.

15. Even though he's thoroughly trained, he still makes a lot of mistakes.

16. Since winter is coming, I think I'll knit a warm sweater, because I'm always cold.

17. When she was younger, she believed in fairy tales.

18. I have to save this coupon in case I come back to the store tomorrow.

19. Let’s go back to Chez Nous because it's where we had our first date.

20. Although my friends begged me, I chose not to go to the reunion.

21. As genes change over time, evolution progresses.

22. I really didn’t like the movie even though the acting was good.

23. When he got a creampie smashed in his face, everyone laughed.

24. After being apart for years, he still had feelings for her.


Complex-compound Sentences


These sentences have multiple clauses, that is, a minimum of two independent/main clauses and a minimum of one dependent clause.

Examples:

  • Mary didn’t sit the exam because she came late, so the teacher was angry. (The independent clauses in this sentence are “Mary didn’t sit the exam” and “The teacher was angry.” On the other hand, the dependent clause is “because she came late” )
  • The teacher, who is on duty, is incompetent, but the principal is competent. (The independent clauses are, “The teacher is incompetent” and “the principal is competent.” “Who is on duty” is the dependent clause.”) In addition to subordinate conjunctions, dependent clauses can also begin with relative pronouns like whose, whom, who, which, and that.
Here are 29 Compound Complex Sentences Examples;

1. He came first. Therefore he got a good seat.

2. Although studying French seems difficult, it’s simpler than you think.

3. I will register as soon as possible and start working.

4. She loved flowers, and I always bought her flowers, however she didn’t like to get them.

5. She didn’t want to go to the dentist, yet she went anyway.

6. My father’s job is very difficult, but He enjoys going to work every day.

7. As soon as Marry arrives in the room, I will start telling her what we are experiencing today.

8. I would like to help you with this and ease your burden, yet unfortunately, I have no time.

9. Would you rather go to the movie that we talked about last night or spend the day at home with Netflix?

10. Some people disagree with this theory, however, it’s never been proven right.

11. George is very clever but he doesn’t study his lessons.

12. I could not go to school early because I studied lesson until last night.

13. We couldn’t go to the park today, however, we had a lot of work, we couldn’t play games at home.

14. You are important for me; nonetheless, sometimes I feel like you don’t even take care of me.

15. Unless you are to tired let’s go for a walk at the park.

16. I studied for long hours at night, therefore I got very high marks from the final exams.

17. I want to sleep at home, but on the other hand, I have to get into work and earn money.

18. Whenever my aunt comes to us, she brings some good gifts for my brothers.

19. As a result, these issues are not for you because your age is much younger.

20. I don’t want you to talk to me again because you lied to me.

21. Even though they were millionaires, they drive old cars.

22. Since I see you, I am better.

23. They can listen to music provided they disturb nobody.

24. He had a good time with his family, even though he was very busy yesterday.

25. It was raining, therefore I stayed my office.

26. My printer got broken as a consequence of I borrowed my friend’s.

27. Mark works not only careless but also hasty.

28. All of my sisters are doctors, whereas I am a teacher.

29. I want to call his, but I don’t have his phone number.



Types of Sentences

There are four types of sentences, namely, imperative, declarative, exclamatory, and interrogative.

Declarative Sentences

These sentences are the most common. They refer to sentences that make statements, describe things/ people, and also express feelings /opinions. They must end with a full-stop.

Examples:

  • Mary loves eating cookies. (Statement)
  • I am excited because of the upcoming sports day. (Feeling)
  • His wife is smartly dressed. (Describes a person)

Here are 20 Declarative Sentences;

1.I love my cat.

2.My new car is black.

3.George brushes her teeth twice a day.

4.We watched TV last night.

5.She doesn’t study German on Saturday.

6.The cat is sleeping on the couch.

7.When he was young, his father died.

8.I can speak English fluently.

9.He loves hanging out with strangers.

10.This is a frustrating book to no end.

11.Baby wakes up if we make too much noise.

12.He wanted to play football, but she wanted to play basketball.

13.A man can not be comfortable without his own approval.

14.He plays the trumpet, and she plays the trombone.

15.I hope you can come tomorrow.

16.I like potatoes.

17.We should leave early.

18.Those dresses used to be mine.

19.She objected at first, but finally submitted.

20.They should take your umbrella because it’s raining.


Interrogative Sentences

These refer to sentences that help people ask questions. They must have a question mark at the end. They can begin with words like do, why, what, how, when, did, where.

Examples:

  • What is an interrogative sentence?
  • Did you complete your assignment?
  • Do you know the answers to the mathematics assignment?

Here are 50 Interrogative Sentences Examples;

  1. When will you visit your moms?
  2. Where do you live?
  3. Where shall we go?
  4. Why haven’t you started studying?
  5. When did you finish your school?
  6. Where in the world did I leave my phone?
  7. Who do you love, you can tell us?
  8. Whose book did you bring me?
  9. When are the best days to go to the mall?
  10. What kind of music do you want to dance to?
  11. How many topics do you have to study?
  12. Did we make a cake for you ?
  13. What kind of music do you like?
  14. Did you take your vitamin this morning?
  15. What do you think about this subject?
  16. How did it get so late so soon?
  17. How many movies did you watch this month?
  18. How far is it between the school and the house?
  19. Should I call or email you?
  20. Why are so scared of me?
  21. Who fixed the computer?
  22. How many times do you smoke?
  23. Who knows the answers to these questions?
  24. Whom did you see yesterday?
  25. Why are you not interested?
  26. Whose pants are these?
  27. Why didn’t you go to school?
  28. Which car would make you happier?
  29. Which do you prefer, white or red?
  30. Are you going on holiday this weekend?
  31. Where can I see you again?
  32. Where was your school, I want to leave you today?
  33. When can I get the answer to these questions?
  34. Who is coming to the play?
  35. When do you intend to move here?
  36. How kind of school do you want to study at?
  37. How did you get here alone?
  38. How do you manage to laugh like this?
  39. Whose birthday today?
  40. Does she have black hair?
  41. What is your name?
  42. Why are you bored?
  43. Will you go abroad after you finish school?
  44. Who finished your meal today, raise your hands?
  45. Can’t we be friends again?
  46. Whom did you call to the party tomorrow?
  47. Whose is this red big notebook?
  48. Tell me what you’re doing today?
  49. What sort of nation might you want to live in?
  50. Where did you lose your bracelet?

Imperative Sentences

These are sentences that express a command, instruction, or request. They have a full-stop at the end but could also have an exclamation mark in case of forceful demands.

Examples:

  • Please give me some tea. (a request)
  • Stop it! (Command)
  • Close the door immediately after cleaning the house. (instruction)

Here are 48 Imperative Sentences;


1.Shall we not go to the cinema?

2.Complete these by tomorrow.

3.Choose your friends wisely.

4.Shall we not eat dinner here?

5.Enjoy it!

6.Don’t text me.

7.Somebody answer the phone!

8.Be there at five.

9.Don’t do that.

10.Go to page 75.

11.Make sure you pack warm clothes.

12.Shall he not come in?

13.Shall we not go out?

14.Don’t move!

15.Please grant me a loan.

16.Drive slowly.

17.Don’t sit there.

18.Give us the gate key.

19.Read a lot to improve your writing skill.

20.Shall he not come in?

21.Shall we not eat dinner here?

22.Do not smoke in your room.

23.You wash your hand first and then eat.

24.Clean your room.

25.Stop talking and open your book.

26.Take the dog for a walk, please.

27.Stop biting your fingernails.

28.Nobody move!

29.Do not walk fastly.

30.Please be quiet in the library.

31.Share wishes for someone.

32.Do your chores!

33.Enjoy some fresh strawberries.

34.Stop talking!

35.Have courage.

36.Let no one of you speak.

37.Switch off your mobiles.

38.Do not talk to me like that.

39.Do not make that sound.

40.Don’t touch me!

41.You there, pay attention!

42.Oh, do shut up!

43.Please join me for dinner.

44.Hand me that bowl

45.Consider the red dress.

46.Pass the salt.

47.Wait for me!

48.Stop feeding the dog!


Exclamatory Sentences

These are sentences that express emotions. They thus must have an exclamation mark at the end.

Examples of Exclamatory Sentence

  1. I am extremely sorry for your loss!
  2. Hoorah! We won the match.
  3. Congratulations! You have a baby girl.
  4. You’re so romantic!
  5. Oh no! We lost him.
  6. Jesus! I felt scared.
  7. I can’t believe it! You’re here in Los Angeles.
  8. You are supposed to be a joker!
  9. What a pleasant surprise!
  10. Many many happy returns of the day!
  11. Most welcome!
  12. What a great victory!
  13. That’s good news!
  14. How dare he said that!
  15. Wow, you look so young!
  16. Thank god! You save my life.
  17. What a pity!
  18. What a fantastic movie!
  19. That birthday cake was so good!
  20. Come on; let’s do it!


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post